virtualized Customer Premises Equipment
Virtualized Customer Premises Equipment (vCPE) addresses the challenges of the evolving home environment by moving large portions of CPE functionality to the cloud.
The Evolving Home Environment
- Internet traffic is increasing exponentially, driven by increasing video consumption.
- The number of connected devices is increasing as tablets and smartphones become more ubiquitous and home appliances become more 'intelligent'.
- Offloading mobile data traffic to Wi-Fi networks is driving traffic growth within the home.
Overview of the Current Home Environment
Issues with Existing CPE
Difficult to provide value-added services, such as:
- Per-device offerings.
Parental control for children's devices, home appliance management, Layer 2 device monitoring, etc.
- Click-to-play and try-and-buy offerings.
vSTB, vStorage, security, etc.
- End-to-end connectivity and security management.
Complexities When Introducing New Services
- Legacy CPE devices often need to be replaced due to the lack of CPU and memory capacity.
- Additional devices often have to be installed.
- Software updates require concurrent support for different CPE devices.
Rising CAPEX and OPEX
- Truck rolls and visits to customer sites increase costs.
- Software maintenance and updates at multiple customer premises can be difficult and costly to organize.
The vCPE Principle
Higher layer functionalities move from home gateways to the network and become virtual functions.
- Reduce CAPEX and OPEX
- Improve service agility.
- Deliver personalized services.
- Transition to SaaS-based business model.
- Improve customer experience.
- March 24, 2017 NEC and Netcracker Contribute to NTT's Network Slice Trial
- June 22, 2016 NEC Advances World's First Virtual Customer Premises Equipment Trial In Brazil
- October 1, 2015Etisalat UAE, NEC and NetCracker Complete Highly Successful Virtual CPE Trial
- September 10, 2015Telefónica Announces Successful Proof of Concept for SDN/NFV with NEC and NetCracker