United Nations World Food Programme recognizes NEC contributions
- NEC continues support of the WFP’s school feeding programmes -
Tokyo, Japan – February 4, 2015 – NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced its recognition by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) (*1) for its contributions to the WFP’s school feeding programmes (*2). The WFP presented NEC with a plaque of recognition for the company’s innovative program of donating proceeds to the WFP from the sale of stockpiled rice at NEC’s internal cafeterias and shops.
NEC has been promoting this unique programme since 2010, where the company provides rice that was originally stockpiled for response to disaster needs at the company’s cafeterias and shops, then uses the proceeds to help the WFP fight hunger and poverty. This rice was originally stockpiled for relief purposes in the event of a disaster and still has six months remaining on its best-before date. Moreover, this is the second time the WFP has recognized NEC for its contributions, including a plaque of gratitude that was received in February 2011.
Going forward, NEC will continue contributing to the WFP as part of the volunteer NEC Make-a-Difference Drive (*3).Details on the presentation ceremony and contributions are as follows:
- Date: February 3, 2016
- Presenter: Mr. Stephen Anderson, Director, Japan Relations Office, The United Nations World Food Programme
- Total sum since 2010: Approximately 50,000 US Dollars
- Period: From the Fiscal Year 2010 through 2015. Stockpiled rice was donated to the affected areas of Great East Japan Earthquake in the Fiscal Year 2012 and 2013.
- Profile of the Programme: Providing rice that was originally stockpiled for disaster relief and has six months remaining before its best-before date to company cafeterias and shops. Approximately 0.36 US dollars from each purchase of stockpiled rice from an NEC location is donated to the programme.
- (*1)The United Nations World Food Programme:
The WFP is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
- (*2)The WFP’s School Feeding Programmes
- (*3)NEC Make-a-Difference Drive (MDD)
The NEC MDD started in 1999, coinciding with the 100th anniversary of the establishment of NEC, as an initiative in regional community contribution activities with NEC Group members volunteering under the slogan "Act where possible, little by little. Think Globally, Act Locally". The objective of the NEC MDD is to contribute to solving problems in local communities, to foster a sociocentric corporate mentality, and to enhance corporate value by making regional contributions through community activities in various parts of the world.
About NEC Corporation
NEC Corporation is a leader in the integration of IT and network technologies that benefit businesses and people around the world. By providing a combination of products and solutions that cross utilize the company's experience and global resources, NEC's advanced technologies meet the complex and ever-changing needs of its customers. NEC brings more than 100 years of expertise in technological innovation to empower people, businesses and society. For more information, visit NEC at http://www.nec.com.
Based on its Mid-term Management Plan, the NEC Group globally provides "Solutions for Society" that promote the safety, security, efficiency and equality of society. Under the company's corporate message of "Orchestrating a brighter world," NEC aims to help solve a wide range of challenging issues and to create new social value for the changing world of tomorrow. For more information, please visit
NEC is a registered trademark of NEC Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Other product or service marks mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners. © NEC Corporation.