The NEC Express5800/R320a is an innovative two-socket FT server on a high performance design using the Intel Xeon 5500 series. The R320a-E4 server is one of the first servers to enjoy the utmost in reliability and availability on diverse operating systems.The exceptional availability provided by fully redundant components makes the ft series servers a secure and ideal virtualization platform.
Key hardware features
- Support for the latest Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series
- Up to 96GB of DDR3 ECC memory
- Eight 2.5-inch disk drive bays
Lower Total Cost of Ownership
The FT Server can deliver a lower total cost of ownership compared to traditional high availability and traditional server solutions in the following areas:
- While physically two servers, the FT server presents only one logical server, requiring only a single operating system / hypervisor instance (Software Licensing Considerations)
- Since the FT Server is a single system, it can be installed seamlessly and without complex configuration and infrastructure
- Maintenance is also considerably less for the FT Server approach when compared to complex configurations and infrastructure
- The cost of application down time - which is amplified through virtualization
Through redundancy at the hardware level, the NEC FT Server reduces failures to notifications and indicator light status. This approach significantly reduces the complexity associated with other forms of high availability in clustering and HA/FT Virtualization software solutions. It also simplifies system management and recovery operations, since administration and configurations are performed as a single system view.