New solutions to global challenges
- ● With an ever-growing population particularly in emerging countries, food shortage is becoming a more serious issue. 800 million people are undernourished.
- ● Yet, 1.3 billion tons of food – one-third of the world's annual production – are discarded every year.*1
- ● Japan’s annual food waste is approx. 6.43 million tons, of which 3.52 million tons occur during the business phases from manufacturing to retail.*2
- *1 United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) "Global food loss and food waste (2011)"
- *2 Japan Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, and Ministry of the Environment "Estimate for FY2016"
We can produce optimal quantities based on an optimal cultivation plan.
We can stock ingredients efficiently, make optimal product manufacturing plans, maintain proper inventories, and efficiently allocate staff involved in production. It contributes to the carrying cost reduction.
We can optimally stock products, and deliver them efficiently. It contributes to the logistics cost reduction.
We can optimize our product orders and maintain proper inventory, resulting in less waste and discounts caused by unsold products. It contributes to sales increase.
ORIX Corporation’s fixed-production farm is an initiative to prevent food loss such as surplus production through waste-free production and shipping, leading to reduced waste-related costs and agricultural labor.
- Co-creation case study
Japan Weather Association >>
- Japan Weather Association is collaborating with NEC in the business of optimizing supply and demand throughout the manufacturing, wholesale, distribution and retail value chain by promoting the provision of weather data which are the basis for data analysis, along with a product demand forecasting service which utilizes the data.
- Co-creation case study
- Intage, Inc. is collaborating with NEC in the business of optimizing supply and demand throughout the manufacturing, wholesale, distribution and retail value chain, by combining various data and analysis know-how, such as panel surveys of INTAGE retail stores and consumers throughout Japan which are the key to data analysis. The aim is to improve demand forecasting accuracy and promote the product demand forecasting service which utilizes it.
- Co-creating an ecosystem which can utilize various food-related data owned by corporations from food manufacturing to food retailing (including sales results, inventory numbers, shipment results, weather information, causal information). AI analysis will improve and automate demand forecast accuracy. This will get all people involved in the food industry to connect beyond their respective fields (frames). This is our ideal of a new society.
- Learn more >>