NEC Kobe Data Center
NEC is pursuing "Safety & Security", "Efficiency" and "Hybrid" by our original updated technology and know-how. NEC Kobe Data Center is a flag ship data center in western Japan which corresponds to various needs by these features.
NEC Kobe Data Center - Top-class energy saving and hybrid cloud achieved by NEC's advanced technologies
Safety & Security
Safe and convenient location
- Convenient : About one hour from Osaka Station.
- Safe : A safe location not susceptible to natural disasters.
Full business continuity support
- Nearly full compliance with JDCC Tier 4* standard.
- Base isolated building dampens earthquake effects.
- The risk of system stoppage is reduced by securing power from two substations through main and sub power lines.
- A redundant UPS configuration and private power generator capable of running for 72 hours without refueling ensures a steady power supply and server cooling during blackouts.
- Power is continuously supplied to air conditioners in server rooms as well.
- Highly sensitive smoke detectors and nitrogen gas fire extinguishing system.
- * JDCC Tier 4: The highest level of reliability in domestic data centers according to facility standards set by the JDCC (Specified Nonprofit Organization, Japan Data Center Council). Some features are Tier 3 compliant.
Airtight security and smooth entry/exit via proprietary NEC face recognition technology
- NEC's highly secure and convenient NeoFace® face recognition engine delivers the world's fastest, most accurate* authentication during entry and exit.
- * The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) awarded NEC the top prize for face recognition accuracy and speed. http://jpn.nec.com/press/201406/20140620_01.html
High security standards and internal control
- Airtight security and compliance with leading standards
- Solid entry security via surveillance cameras and biometric authentication.
- Solid information security via Security Operation Center in collaboration with specialized NEC security organizations.
- Compliance with stringent data center security standards
- High-level security meets financial institution demands (compliance with FISC* Security Guidelines).
- SOC 2 compliance for internal control (Type 2 report*).
- * FISC: Center for Financial Industry Information Systems
- * SOC 2 (Service Organization Control 2) report: Internal control report of commissioned business appointed by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
NEC air conditioning realizes a PUE of 1.18*.
- Effective use of NEC's proprietary Phase-Change Cooling Units along machine room (cloud area) walls
- Free cooling with outside air during cold season
- About 40% lower machine room air-conditioning power consumption
Machine room air-conditioning system
- (1)Exhaust heat from server racks is cooled by a Phase-Change Cooling Unit, dry coil outside the machine room and free-cooling.
- (2)Cooled air enters the room by ceiling fans.
- (3)The right amount of cooled air reaches each rack depending on its temperature.
- * PUE (Power Usage Effectiveness): Data center energy efficiency calculated by dividing total power consumption by IT equipment power consumption. The lowest and best possible value is 1.0.
Natural methods further boost efficiency
- Solar power generation, an energy storage system and an underground cooling system further reduce power consumption
- Solar power generated during the day is stored in an energy storage system and used for lighting, etc. within the data center.
- Outside air is naturally cooled in an underground base isolation layer and fed to the electric room to reduce air-conditioning power consumption by about 50%.
- Stored solar energy powers the underground layer's intake and exhaust fans at no cost.
- Power-saving equipment such as LED lighting and free cooling
Integrated cloud and housing (colocation) in a hybrid environment
- Cloud and housing environments
- Cloud infrastructure service "NEC Cloud IaaS" and a housing service are offered within the data center with LAN connection.
- Data center utilization as a BC/DR measure
- NEC Kobe Data Center and NEC Kanagawa Data Center - NEC's two flagship data centers - are connected by an inter-data-center network and can be used for BC/DR purposes.
- Flexible networking between data centers is realized through Software-Defined Networking (SDN).
- Secure hybrid cloud via third party cloud connection services.
High-quality services for integrated operation
- NEC Kobe Data Center and NEC's other core data centers are centrally operated and monitored by Integrated IT Service Management Center, which is built on the ITIL* framework.
- 24/7/365 operation managed by specialists.
- Consistent operational quality via optimized operational design, standardization and systemization based on vast NEC experience.
- Customers can monitor their incident status on the web portal.
- * ITIL® (Information Technology Infrastructure Library):
A publicized framework with compiled best practices (based on success stories) for IT service management. (ITIL® is a Registered Trademark of AXELOS Limited.)