- December 8, 2017BSCC and NEC announce the completion of a new submarine cable linking the Republic of Palau
Koror, Republic of Palau, 8 December 2017 – Belau Submarine Cable Corporation (BSCC; Republic of Palau) and NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced today that the construction of a new submarine cable linking the Republic of Palau has been completed and is now ready for commercial service.
- September 22, 2017RTI and NEC announce that the SEA-US submarine cable is ready for service and that the marine survey has begun for a Hong Kong extension
California, USA, Singapore and Tokyo, Japan, 22 September 2017 – RAM Telecom International, Inc. (RTI) and NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced today that the Southeast Asia - United States Cable System (SEA-US) is ready for commercial service following acceptance by the SEA-US consortium*, and that construction has commenced on the Hong Kong - Guam Cable System (HK-G) extension.
- September 20, 2017NEC Completes Construction of "SKR1M," a 100Gbps Submarine Cable in Malaysia
Tokyo, September 20, 2017 - NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced the completion of the Sistem Kabel Rakyat 1Malaysia (SKR1M) 100 gigabit per second (Gbps) submarine cable linking Peninsular Malaysia with Sabah and Sarawak.
- June 22, 2017NEC completes "ATISA" submarine cable
Tokyo, Japan, June 22, 2017 — NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced today that the 280 kilometer ATISA submarine fiber optic cable system connecting Guam to the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) is complete and operational.
- June 1, 2017NEC Receives Award from ITU-AJ for its Accomplishments in Submarine Telecom Cables
Tokyo, June 1, 2017 - NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced that its International Submarine Cable Project Team has received an Accomplishment Award from the International Telecommunication Union - Association of Japan (ITU-AJ) for its leading role in constructing subsea telecom cables to connect continents and communities.
- May 12, 2017NEC first to achieve 50Tb submarine cable over 10,000km by using C+L EDFA
Tokyo, May 12, 2017 - NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced that it has demonstrated a transmission capacity of 50.9 terabits (Tb) per second on a single optical fiber, over a distance greater than 11,000km. This is the first time 50Tb have been achieved over 10,000km using C+L band erbium-doped fiber amplifiers (EDFA). Such a large capacity over that distance corresponds to a new record breaking capacity distance product of 570 Pb-km (Petabit per second-kilometer). NEC's commitment to pushing the benchmark 50Tb capacity to trans-pacific distances is in line with the current trend of increasing the reach of ultra-high capacity submarine cable segments.
- May 4, 2017NEC begins Construction of Submarine Cable Links to the Islands of Palau, Yap and Chuuk
Tokyo, May 4, 2017 - NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701), together with Belau Submarine Cable Corporation (BSCC; Republic of Palau) and the Government of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), today announced it has commenced construction of three submarine cable links that will connect the islands of Palau, Yap and Chuuk to the rest of the world.
- April 21, 2017RTI-C and NEC Begin Construction of HK-G Submarine Cable System
- Singapore and Tokyo, Japan, 21 April 2017 - RTI Connectivity Pte. Ltd. (RTI-C) and NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced that construction of the Hong Kong - Guam Cable system (HK-G) has officially commenced. The 3,900 kilometer undersea cable, featuring 100 gigabit per second (Gbps) optical transmission capabilities, will deliver design capacity of more than 48 terabits per second (Tbps), and is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2019.
- January 20, 2017NEC supplies submarine cable for system connecting Hong Kong and Guam
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced the signing of a contract with RTI Connectivity (*1) to supply a high capacity optical submarine cable for a new system connecting Hong Kong and Guam.
- November 17, 2016NEC Completes Asia Pacific Gateway Submarine Cable
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced it has finished construction of the Asia Pacific Gateway (APG) Submarine Cable connecting Japan, South Korea, Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.
- September 8, 2016PT.Telkom selects NEC to build the "Indonesia Global Gateway (IGG)" submarine cable
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced the signing of a contract with PT. Telekomunikasi Indonesia, Tbk (Telkom) to develop the Indonesia Global Gateway Cable System (IGG), an optical submarine cable system that will connect the islands of Sumatra, Batam, Jawa, Bali, Kalimantan and Sulawesi with Singapore.
- June 29, 2016FASTER Cable System is Ready for Service, Boosts Trans-Pacific Capacity and Connectivity
- FASTER, a consortium of six international companies, together with its supplier NEC Corporation, today announced that construction and end-to-end testing of a new trans-Pacific submarine cable system, the "FASTER Cable System," has been successfully completed and will start service on June 30, 2016.
- June 13, 2016NEC approaches the limit of transoceanic optical transmission efficiency
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced today that it has demonstrated a transmission capacity of 34.9 terabits per second (Tbit/s) on a single optical fiber, over a distance greater than 6,300 km. This achievement breaks the spectral efficiency record for transoceanic transmission (*), achieving 8.3 bit/s/Hz using the C-band spectrum. This is a 16.9% improvement on the previous record.
- April 6, 2016Construction commences on Angola Cables' South Atlantic Cable System (SACS) by NEC
- Angola Cables S.A., an Angolan telecoms wholesale operator, and NEC Corporation, a leading IT system supplier, announced today that the contract to build the South Atlantic Cable System (SACS), the first subsea fiber optic cable system ever to connect Africa and South America in the southern hemisphere has come into force. SACS is scheduled to be ready for service by the middle of 2018. The project cost is expected to reach $160 million and will be partially co-funded by the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) with the support of Nippon Export and Investment Insurance (NEXI) through the Banco de Desenvolvimento de Angola (BDA).
- January 7, 2016SEA-ME-WE 5 cable system lands in Malaysia
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced that Telekom Malaysia Berhad (TM) and NEC successfully completed the landing of the South East Asia-Middle East-Western Europe 5 (SEA-ME-WE 5) submarine cable system at Melaka, Malaysia.
- September 3, 2015NEC to build "SKR1M" submarine cable system in Malaysia
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced the signing of a contract with Telekom Malaysia Berhad (TM) and TT dotCom Sdn Bhd (TTdC), a wholly-owned subsidiary of TIME dotCom Berhad (TIME), to construct the Sistem Kabel Rakyat 1 Malaysia (SKR1M), an optical submarine cable system that will connect Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak.
- March 31, 2015Global consortium, NEC begin construction of $250M SEA-US Cable System
- A global consortium of telecommunications companies, formed to build and operate the South-East Asia - United States (SEA-US) submarine cable system, officially announced the start of construction for the landmark project, the first to directly connect Indonesia and the United States. NEC Corporation and NEC Corporation of America are the system suppliers for the US $250 million project that is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2016.
- November 4, 2014Angola Cables to build the world's first submarine cable across the South Atlantic
- Angola Cables S.A. announced today that it has signed a contract to build the world's first submarine cable system across the South Atlantic with NEC Corporation as the system supplier. The South Atlantic Cable System (SACS) will connect Angola and Brazil, directly linking the African continent to Latin America for the first time, to enable high speed and high capacity international data transmissions, spurring trade and economic growth.
- October 9, 2014Supply Contract for the Hong Kong Extension of the Asia-Africa-Europe 1 Submarine Cable System comes into force - to be built by NEC Corporation
- The consortium behind the Asia-Africa-Europe 1 (AAE-1) submarine cable system project – connecting Asia, the Middle East, East Africa and Europe – have signed a supply contract with NEC Corporation for the S1H segment, representing the Thailand-to-Vietnam-and-Hong Kong section of the network. The supply contract has come into force as of October 8, 2014.
- August 28, 2014SEA-US: Global Consortium to Build Cable System Connecting Indonesia, the Philippines, and the United States
- A consortium of seven global telecommunications companies agreed today to cooperate in the construction and operation of a new submarine cable system that directly connects Southeast Asia and the United States with NEC Corporation as the system supplier. The Southeast Asia – United States "SEA-US" consortium consists of PT. Telekomunikasi Indonesia International (Telin), Globe Telecom, RAM Telecom International (RTI), Hawaiian Telcom, Teleguam Holdings (GTA), GTI Corporation (a member of the Globe Telecom group of companies) and Telkom USA.
- August 11, 2014A Global Consortium to Build New Trans-Pacific Cable System "FASTER"
- A consortium of six global companies announced that they have signed commercial agreements to build and operate a new Trans-Pacific cable system to be called “FASTER” with NEC Corporation as the system supplier. The FASTER cable network will connect the United States to two landing locations in Japan. The total amount of investment for the FASTER system is estimated to be approximately USD $300 million.
- March 7, 2014NEC wins SEA-ME-WE 5 Contract to strengthen ultra-broadband undersea connectivity between Singapore and France
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced today the signing of a contract with the South East Asia-Middle East-Western Europe 5 (SEA-ME-WE 5) consortium, comprising of 15 leading telecom operators to deploy a new 100 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) undersea cable system. The SEA-ME-WE 5 system will span 20,000 km from Singapore to Europe, and will deliver ultra-broadband capacity and faster access to consumers and businesses.
- August 12, 2013NEC wins Papua Cable System in Indonesia
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) and PT. NEC Indonesia have signed a contract with PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia, Tbk ("PT Telkom") to construct the Papua Cable System, a high-bandwidth optical submarine cable system that will connect Indonesia's Papua Provinces on the island of New Guinea.
- June 27, 2013Southeast Asia-Japan [SJC] Cable System strengthens connectivity in 7 territories
- The SJC Parties, today announced that the Southeast Asia-Japan Cable (SJC) system is now operational. The system, supplied by TE SubCom and NEC Corporation provides connectivity to key destinations to meet the growing bandwidth requirement in the region and allow for cost effective and resilient connectivity to other submarine cable systems.
- June 20, 2013NEC Wins 100Gb/s Capacity Upgrade Contract on APCN2
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced today the signing of a contract with a purchasing consortium of 13 major telecom operators in the Asia Pacific region to enable the APCN2 (Asia Pacific Cable Network 2) to support 100Gb/s dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) for the first time.
- February 19, 2013NEC and Fujitsu Complete Asia Submarine-cable Express (ASE)
- NEC Corporation and Fujitsu Limited today announced that they have completed construction of all initially planned segments of the Asia Submarine-cable Express (ASE) system, a high-bandwidth optical submarine cable system that extends across approximately 7,800 km to link Japan with the Philippines, Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Singapore. NTT Communications, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company, Telekom Malaysia Berhad, and StarHub Limited placed an order for the new system in January 2011.
- January 28, 2013NEC wins contract for Taiwan Penghu Kinmen Matsu No.3 (TPKM3) Submarine Cable System
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced today the signing of a multi-million dollar supply contract, through its Taiwan subsidiary NEC (Taiwan) Co., Ltd, with Chunghwa Telecom to construct the Taiwan Penghu Kinmen Matsu No.3 (TPKM3) Submarine Cable system, a high-bandwidth non-repeater optical submarine cable that will link Taoyan (North Taiwan) with Matsu and Tainan (South Taiwan) with Kinmen through Penghu. The signing took place at Taipei today.
- January 17, 2013NEC performs world's first successful trial of real-time 1Tb/s superchannel transmission over a trans-oceanic distance
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) recently performed the world's first (*1) successful trial of real-time 1Tb/s super-channel transmission using 100GbE subcarriers over a trans-oceanic distance.
- January 16, 2013NEC and Corning Achieve Record-breaking Results in Optical Transmission Capacity
- NEC Corporation of America (NEC), a leading provider and integrator of advanced IT communications, managed services, biometric solutions and carrier-class communications products for optical networks, and Corning Incorporated (NYSE:GLW), a leading provider of optical fibers, today announced that NEC and Corning achieved record-breaking results in transmission capacity over optical fibers. The result was reported at the 2012 Frontiers in Optics/Laser Science XXVIII (FiO/LS) meeting.
- January 10, 2012NEC Demonstrates First Terabit/s Superchannel Transmission over 10,000km
- NEC Corporation (NEC) has announced the successful experimental demonstration of 1.15-Tb/s ultra-long haul optical transmission over 10,000 kilometers using optical superchannel technology. This is the first instance that a terabit/s channel generated from a single laser source has been transmitted over such a distance. Four superchannels were transmitted together by wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) to achieve a total capacity of 4 Tb/s and a spectral efficiency of 3.6 b/s/Hz. The results clearly demonstrate that practical high-capacity transmission for transoceanic communication can be achieved using cost-effective superchannel technology.
- December 20, 2011NEC wins Asia Pacific Gateway (APG) Submarine Cable System
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE6701) announced today the signing of a multi-million dollar supply contract with the global consortium of communications companies, including NTT Communications, KT, Chunghwa Telecom, and others, to construct the Asia Pacific Gateway (APG) system, a high-bandwidth optical submarine cable system that will link 9 countries and territories in Asia. The signing took place at Beijing.
- November 14, 2011NEC Announces Completion of First Integrated Ocean Observation System for Taiwan
- NEC Corporation today announced the completion of its first submarine-cable based integrated ocean observation system for the Central Weather Bureau of Taiwan. The system has been deployed in the sea off of eastern coast of Taiwan in order to strengthen seismic and environmental observations in the area. NEC won this construction project in September 2009.
- September 30, 2011NEC Completes Installation of World's First 40Gb/s Capacity Upgrade for a Large Scale Submarine Cable Network in Asia Pacific
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced today the successful completion of a multi-million-dollar contract with a purchasing consortium of 14 major telecom operators in the Asia Pacific region for the world's first 40Gb/s dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) capacity upgrade to an existing large scale submarine cable network.
- April 12, 2011South-East Asia Japan Cable (SJC) System Consortium Contracts with SubCom and NEC as Suppliers
- The global consortium of telecommunications companies formed to build and operate the South-East Asia Japan Cable (SJC) system officially announces the start of the construction of the project that will link Brunei, China Mainland, Hong Kong, Philippines, Japan, and Singapore, with options to extend to Indonesia and Thailand.
- April 7, 2011NEC Wins Contract to Supply Maldives' Domestic Submarine Cable System
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) today announced that it signed a contract with Dhiraagu (Dhivehi Raajjeyge Gulhun Private Limited; Headquarters: Male, Maldives; Chief Executive: Ismail Rasheed), the largest telecom carrier in the Maldives for a domestic optical submarine cable system connecting eight islands in the Maldives.
- February 28, 2011NEC to Upgrade EAC Pacific Cable Network
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) and Pacnet today announced the signing of a multi-million dollar contract to upgrade the 9,620km EAC Pacific Cable Network ("EAC Pacific") which represents two of the five fiber pairs of the Unity Cable System, connecting Chikura, Chiba, off the coast of Japan near Tokyo, to Los Angeles, California.
- January 31, 2011NEC and Fujitsu win Asia Submarine-cable Express (ASE)
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE6701) and Fujitsu Limited (Fujitsu; TSE 6702) today announced an agreement with NTT Communications, the Philippines Long Distance Telephone Company, StarHub Limited and Telekom Malaysia Berhad to construct the Asia Submarine-cable Express system, a high-bandwidth optical submarine cable system that will link Japan to Singapore, Hong Kong, the Philippines and Malaysia.
- July 7, 2010NEC Wins World's First 40Gb/s Capacity Upgrade Contract for a Large Scale Submarine Cable Network
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701) announced today the signing of a multi million-dollar contract with a purchasing consortium of 14 major telecom operators in the Asia Pacific region for the world's first 40Gb/s dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) capacity upgrade to an existing large scale submarine cable network.
- April 15, 2010NEC Deploys Latest Submarine Earthquake Observation System with JAMSTEC
- NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701), a leading network, communications and information technology company, announced today its deployment of the Dense Oceanfloor Network System for Earthquakes and Tsunamis (DONET) for the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC).