The Peninsula TokyoIntegrated Voice/data Wireless NetworkBuilding the hotel industry's first integrated voice/data wireless LAN environment that covers the entire hotel Providing N902iL in all rooms to be used outside the hotel as an extended service
At a glance
The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, Limited (HSH), owner and operator of The Peninsula Hotels that operates luxury hotels located in key gateway cities in Asia and the USA, opened The Peninsula Tokyo in the prestigious Marunouchi financial district of the Japanese capital on September 1, 2007. This new hotel features the industry's first integrated voice/data wireless network that covers all hotel facilities, based on the combination of NEC's UNIVERGE SV7000 SIP-based IP Telephony Server and wireless LAN system. The N902iL FOMA®/Wireless LAN dual handsets, which can be used both as guestroom phones and as employee phones, contribute to the hotel's superior guest services as a tool for delivering first-class hospitality.
Installation background and issues
- In order to provide a variety of services to satisfy guests' needs, the establishment of a fully integrated voice/data IP network that allows the flexibility of adding applications was taken into consideration.
- A wireless communications environment that covers 99.9% of the hotel facilities was sought in order to offer improved convenience to guests as well as to facilitate efficient services by hotel employees.
- In the course of discussion on a desired system, the idea of using wireless handsets as guestroom phones that would also double as mobile phones outside the hotel was conceived.
- An innovative service that allows guests to use wireless guestroom handsets to call the hotel staff or make outgoing calls both inside and outside the hotel has been realized.
- On the employees' wireless handsets, the Short Text Message function is used to accurately relay guest service orders to the appropriate personnel, enabling the hotel to ensure high-quality, speedy services.
- NEC proposed a fully integrated voice/data IP network infrastructure for wired or wireless communications, consisting of a UNIVERGE SV7000 SIP-based IP Telephony Server and wireless LAN system.
- NEC proposed the N902iL FOMA®/Wireless LAN dual handsets as wireless guestroom handsets, which would also function as both extension phones inside the hotel and as conventional mobile phones outside.